Your video is finished and you are ready to upload it, embed it to your website and share it on social media. But which site should you use?
Youtube is the easiest to share and allows your video to show up in google search results, while Wistia is hands down the best option for embedding in your website.
Let’s take a look at the different sites and their features.
WISTIA: MADE FOR BUSINESS
This is our favorite hosting platform and we use it on our website. It is easier to customize the look and feel than with youtube.
Wistia has amazing analytics that allow you to measure engagement and views over time. They also include a heatmap view that show what areas of your video have been skipped or re-watched.
One of our favorite features is the “timeline actions” that lets you insert a call to action, annotations, or a turnstile to collect emails.
The only downside is that your video is not searchable in the same way that a Youtube video would be. It is unlikely your video will show up in search results.
- Free version allows up to 25 videos
- Highly customizable player for embeds
- User friendly analytics and heatmaps for tracking viewer engagement
- Call to action links during or after video
- Designed to boost SEO to the page where you embed the video
- Video is unlikely to appear in google search results
- Free version has a watermark “Powered By Wistia”
Youtube: Social network for videos
Almost everyone uses this website and it has become the second largest search engine in the world. If you use a descriptive title and keyword tags, your video has a shot at appearing in google search results for that subject.
Youtube has basic analytics which allow you to measure viewer engagement and views over time.
On the downside, youtube is not a great player for embedding in your website. It looks generic and customization is limited.
- Free to create your own account and upload videos
- Video will appear in google search results
- Great for creating a subscriber base
- Solid analytics tools for measuring viewer engagement
- Limited customization on your embedded player
- Search results link to your video on Youtube, not on your website
What if you want one Solution?
If you have to go with one option, pick Youtube for maximum views, or Wistia for a cleaner embed and better analytics.